Have you asked yourself, “Why Elope”
Here are the Top 10 Reasons Why to Elope!
1. Eloping is much much cheaper! According to the popular wedding website The Knot, the average traditional wedding in the USA now costs over $27,000. But if you live in a large city, the cost could be even higher. Of course, prices will vary depending on what you include, and the date of your wedding. But eloping will cost a fraction of a traditional wedding, even a budget wedding. Save that money for a fabulous reception after you get home if you wish. Put it towards a house, a car, a honeymoon….a new pair of shoes! I’ve never met a person who has regretted saving money and not going into debt for their wedding. Many people these days prefer the intimacy and romance of a small elopement which makes this the #1 reason why elope.
2. Elopement means fewer hassles and much less stress – don’t worry about the bridal registry. Do you really need those monogrammed towels or another toaster? Do you care about coordinating the color of the invitations with the guest favors? Guest lists alone have driven many a bride-to-be to drink! We have read reports that 19% of brides say they have more disagreements with their boyfriends after becoming engaged.
3. Eloping is much quicker — most wedding planners agree that it takes at least a year to plan the average wedding. Many popular venues are booked a year or more in advance. Maybe this is a second marriage for one or both of you. Maybe you just want to get started on your new life together. Long engagements aren’t for everyone.
4. Avoid “sticky” situations. How will you control Uncle Jack’s excessive drinking? What about Grandpa’s notoriously bad breath or the divorced aunt and uncle who are still feuding over custody of Fido and each wants you on his or her side? Dodge the family drama when you skip the traditional wedding.
5. No need for thank you notes – hadn’t thought of that? Many etiquette experts say that thank you cards for gifts received on the wedding day should be sent out within 2-4 weeks of returning from the honeymoon. Others say you may take up to 3 months. But to quote Peggy Post: “No fill-in-the-blank cards, no preprinted cards, no phone calls, no emails, and no generic posts on your website.” We suggest a simple announcement that tells everyone that you eloped. You can send this announcement electronically and it won’t be frowned upon.
6. Eloping helps you feel the true significance of the moment. You are more likely to live in the moment of this important event when you are in a small group or just with your loved one. You will also most likely spend a couple of days in your destination city so the memories of your wedding day will be over a few days, not a few hours like a traditional wedding. Eloping can be truly intimate…and isn’t that what committing your life to another person is all about?
7. No seating charts! Do you know who is feuding with whom? Do you care? Should you put only those who know each other at the same table or mix it up so that singles can meet others? Will someone be offended that you stuck them at the back table with the photographer?
8. Elopements can be more memorable than run-of-the-mill weddings. Get creative. Think of the stories you can tell your friends for years to come. Imagine getting married atop a glacier, in a hot air balloon or under a 300 year old majestic oak tree! Deciding to elope doesn’t have to mean running to the courthouse in your work clothes or going to the drive-through chapel in Vegas (unless that turns your crank). It can still be very memorable and special.
9. Spontaneity can be very romantic. You’ll never look at a pineapple the same way if you use one for a bouquet! If you choose to elope to New Orleans, you will likely grab some beads…find a balcony in the French Quarter and throw them at random strangers. Or dance in the middle of the streets to amazing street performers. Can you do that at a traditional wedding?
10. And lastly, Why Elope? Not everyone likes to be the center of attention. Believe it or not, there are some women who do not care to be “Queen for the day”. Men too don’t always like being in the spotlight.
If you have been asking yourself… why elope? This guide should give you a few things to think about. Elopement weddings are what we specialize in, reach out to us or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to chat!